Website Log Still Distillery
Log Still Distillery in Gethsemane, Nelson County, Kentucky is seeking an experienced Distillery Operator to oversee our small hybrid-still distillation process. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: oversight of: the distillery operations, working with the head distiller to develop and refine mash bills for high quality spirits (bourbon and gin), and explaining the process to visitors. This candidate must be a strong results-driven leader, hardworking, and have the ability to direct, train, mentor and manage distillery staff.
Major Job Responsibilities / Key Duties
- Oversee the operation of the distillery and boiler processes.
- Collaborate with Chief of Operations to develop 5 day/week distillery schedule.
- Develop, support, monitor Key Performance Indications (KPIs) of productivity, safety, budget, and quality.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations including but not limited to the Environmental Protection Agency and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration.
- Assist with training and development of other distillery/warehouse workers including production processes and safety procedures.
- Assist/mentor and serves as a resource for daily distillery operations. This role will potentially lead to a supervisory role.
- Collaborate with various departments including: production, warehousing, human resources to ensure production needs are met.
- Oversee the quality control and documentation of grain, mash, beer chemistry, and yeast.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement throughout the site.
- Maintain working knowledge of emergency procedures including fire protection system.
- Ensure work areas are maintained and in a safe and orderly manner to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Works to eliminate safety hazards, and respond quickly to any safety issues.
- Prioritize a culture of safety and ensure ongoing communication of safety related priorities; champion process improvements with a focus on elimination of preventable workplace accidents.
- Assist site leadership team in meeting site safety objectives.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, test, maintain, and clean all facility equipment including, but not limited to, mechanical equipment, electrical equipment and digital, pneumatic and manual instruments.
- Conduct basic PLC programming and instrument troubleshooting.
- Basic steam system maintenance and repair.
- Maintain production reporting.
Skills / Experience Required
- Minimum of five-ten years of experience in bourbon production processes.
- Working knowledge of distillation processes for bourbon and gin spirits.
- Experience in developing distillation schedules and managing budgets.
- Working knowledge of distillery and boiler processes.
- Relevant process operating experience in any of the following environments: distilling/brewing/food manufacture/petrochemical/pharmaceutical or degree in Engineering, Science, Business or related field (Will consider military with additional relevant experience)
- Experience driving a forklift in a production/warehouse environment.
- Ability to perform math calculations (e.g., proofing calculations).
- Excellent customer service – Using every internal/external customer interaction as an opportunity to impress them with a “Wow” factor. Thanking the customer for choosing Log Still Distillery Brand/Service.
- Ability to make others feel welcome, through a combination of authenticity, humility, and kindness, and lead by example
- Exceptional time management skills; ability to be proactive and take initiative.
- Strong work ethic
- Outstanding organization and coordination skills- ability to manage priorities and routine functions effectively and efficiently.
- Empathy- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Teamwork – Ability to flex scope of responsibility and perform other functions as needed, regardless of job description.
- Proficiency with personal computers / laptops and associated programs (Windows, Microsoft office suite of programs).
- Effective oral communication skills: ability to talk to others to convey information effectively; strong written communication skills; ability to effectively correspond with guests via formal letters, email, online social media, etc.
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple processes simultaneously.
- Maintenance / mechanic experience, specifically with boilers, chillers, and water treatment processes.
- High School diploma
- Associate’s degree (Bachelors degree preferred)
Special Working Conditions (e.g. Temperature Extremes, Lifting, Noise, Off-shifts)
- Must be 21 years old.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs regularly.
- Ability to stand for long periods, and walk, kneel, stoop on a regular basis.
- Ability to twist, bend, stretch, and climb up to 20 feet on a ladder on a regular basis.
- Must be able to traverse the distillery/campus quickly.
- No allergies/sensitivities to spirits distilling environment
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer