The Distilled Spirits Council – DISCUS is the leading voice and advocate for distilled spirits in the United States.
Representing the leading producers and marketers of distilled spirits, the Council:
- Advocates on legislative, regulatory and public affairs issues impacting the distilled spirits sector at the local, state, federal and international levels;
- Promotes the distilled spirits sector, raising awareness and opening markets in the United States and around the globe; and
- Encourages responsible and moderate consumption of distilled spirits as part of a healthy adult lifestyle based on evidence-based research and policy.
The Distilled Spirits Council works diligently in the nation’s capital and at the local and state level to ensure the spirits sector is leading the discussion and setting the agenda with public officials and regulators.
celebrate life, responsibly
The spirits sector is entering a new golden era. Consumers are embracing the cocktail scene, where combinations are endless and a new exciting mixture is just a sip away.
We lead by formulating policies underscored by evidence-based science; supporting efforts to further reduce underage drinking and drunk driving; and encouraging moderate and responsible consumption among adults who choose to drink.
History of the Distilled Spirits Council
In 1973, three organizations—the Bourbon Institute, the Distilled Spirits Institute and the Licensed Beverage Industries, Inc.—merged to form the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS).
Learn More About
- Advocacy & Policy – Taxes & Federal Regulations, State Market Modernizations, Int. Trade & Exports, Modernization & Responsibility
- Data & Economic Impact – State Data, Annual Economic Impact Report, Spirit Data Category, Import/Export Data, Spirits Supplier Price Data
- Latest News & Insights – News Releases, Trends, Media Center, Spirited Advocate Podcast
- Membership Benefits– Why Join, Members, Events & Products, Spirits Jobs, Education & Training
- Responsibility & Who We Are – Moderation & Responsibility, Our Heritage, Sustainability, Code of Responsibility, Alcohol Responsibility Month
Today, DISCUS is the national trade association representing leading producers and marketers of distilled spirits products in the United States.
Over the years, DISCUS has served as the distillers’ voice on policy and legislative issues in our nation’s capital, state capitals and foreign capitals worldwide.