Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, will soon have fans lining up to get their hands on this first time release. It’s not anything new necessarily but it is packaged in a novel way that will make every Four Roses fan drool.
Four Roses Distillery has announced a rare release that will include all 10 of its proprietary bourbon recipes in a single package. Four Roses is known for its 10 recipes. Hard core fans can likely tell you what every letter in O __ S __ means. And in case you don’t know, it’s not a secret code, it indicates these four things.
- Mash bill
- Type of Whiskey
- Yeast strain.
Read the full details in How to Read a Four Roses Label below.
The Four Roses Ten Recipe Tasting Experience
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
The kit will feature each of the ten unique bourbon recipes that make up Four Roses’ bourbons. It’s these ten signature recipes that set the brand’s bourbons apart, and gives the liquid in each bottle its distinctive characteristic. The kit will include 50ml bottles of each recipe for bourbon enthusiasts to get a taste of where the brand’s offerings originate. A QR code on the box will lead to a guided tasting video with Master Distiller Brent Elliott for a more immersive experience.
This limited-edition kit has a suggested retail price of $129.99 and will be available for purchase starting June 30 at the Four Roses Visitor Centers in Lawrenceburg and Coxs Creek, Kentucky, and will roll out in select retailers in Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, and California starting in mid-July.
Four Roses Celebrates 135 Years and a Brand Refresh
Four Roses was founded in 1888. In celebration of its 135-year anniversary the brand is doing a refresh design on all its bottles and website. This is the first major update for the brand since 2006.
“While the look of our brand is being refreshed, our unwavering commitment to producing the highest-quality bourbons made of our ten signature recipes remains the same” said Brent Elliott, Master Distiller, “It’s been a true honor watching the brand grow over the past 18 years that I’ve been with Four Roses and I look forward to this next chapter.”
Over its 135-year history, the bourbon brand has maintained its commitment to quality and consistency in its liquid and overall product. Four Roses has continued to stay true to its roots and time-tested process of creating bourbons with an unmatched flavor that are not only complex, but also delightfully mellow. Four Roses looks to pay homage to the brand’s heritage while exploring a more modernized approach through evolving the labels on all bottles.
“In our 135th year, we’re thrilled to reveal our refreshed, modernized branding, which aims to maintain the spirit of our rich history while appealing to today’s bourbon drinker.” said Kelly Edney, Senior Brand Manager. “Four Roses is about creating and being part of life’s mellow moments, and we hope that our dedicated fans and future customers continue to feel that connection.”
Bottle design updates include the following.
- A renewed, 3D rose emblem – the brand’s classic logo – offering a more refreshed and refined representation of the brand’s founding story
- A new engraved rose cluster on the cork of each bottle
- Brightened labels with gilded borders on all bottles labels, to bring a more contemporary look to the design. Labels on each of the brand’s four bourbon expressions show a varying color palette that correspond with the richness of the product
- The publico typeface on the new label brings an elegance that is as timeless as the brand itself
- The addition of Master Distiller Brent Elliott’s signature on the face of each bottle as a nod to the care and attention he puts into every bottle; tasting notes have also been added to the back of each bottle label to highlight the unique flavor profiles of each product.
- An updated website design that still includes cocktail recipes, events, and purchase links, but with a brighter and more cohesive look to match the refreshed branding
The new packaging and updated website begin immediately while you’ll have to wait until June 30 to get a chance to get your hands on the Four Roses Ten Recipe Tasting Experience package.
How to Read a Four Roses Bourbon Label
1st Letter Indicates the Location of the Distillery
The first letter is always the same. The “O” represents the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. According to Four Roses Master Distiller Brent Elliot, “The “O” is a throwback from the Seagram days when barrels had a distillery designation. “O” designated “Old Prentice” which is our current (Four Roses) distillery.” Back in their heyday, Seagram’s used to own many distilleries around the country. Here’s a 1910 photo of what Four Roses looked like when it was the Old Prentice Distillery.
2nd Letter Indicates the Mash Bill
Four Roses uses two mashbills.
- E Mashbill = 75% Corn, 20% Rye and 5% Malted Barley
- B Mashbill = 60% Corn, 35% Rye and 5% Malted Barley
3rd Letter Indicates the Type of Whiskey
The third letter is always the same. The “S” indicates Straight Whiskey.
4th Letter Indicates the Yeast
Four Roses uses five proprietary yeast strains identified by yeast codes. Each has its own flavor characteristics.
- V = Light Fruitiness, Light Vanilla, Caramel and Creamy
- K = Light Slight Spice, Light Caramel and Full Bodied
- O = Rich Fruitiness, Light Vanilla, Caramel and Full Bodied
- Q = Essences of Floral
- F = Essences of Herbal Aromas
Still want to learn more? Check on the infographic version of this here – How to Read a Four Roses Single Barrel Label – It’s as Easy as OESO [Infographic].
Four Roses Distillery Tourism Up 43%, Announces Visitor Center Expansion to Double Capacity
Four Roses Distillery Senior Brand Ambassador and Historian Al Young has Died
Four Roses Distillery Celebrates Journey from Exile to Rebirth to $55 Million Expansion – Doubles Capacity