With a chill in the air and snowflakes making their way across many U.S. states we can all use a warm drink. And if we are going to make a warm drink, it may as well be a hot toddy. Not only will it warm your soul but it may help to keep the common cold at bay. Now, before we sit back to relax, let’s mix a hot toddy, pour a steaming hot drink and dream of far off beaches and waves gently rolling ashore.
Whether you like your hot toddy mulled, plank-smoked or served flaming, we’ve got you covered with a selection of beverages from across the world including Germany, France, Scotland, Sweden and the good ole’ U.S.A, boasting an eclectic mix of spirits and tastes.
Whether it’s mulled, plank-smoked or served flaming, here are some examples:
- Bombardino – This Italian favorite is a brandy based drink with egg-nog and Advocaat and is served hot with whipped cream on top. Its variations include adding in coffee or rum, and the name translates to ‘The Bomb’.
- Plank-Smoked Old Fashion – While the Plank-smoked Old Fashion is an inventive variation of the traditional Old Fashion cocktail, the original was created during the 19th century and given its name in the 1880s.
- Parampampoli – This grappa based drink is served ‘flambe’ and the original recipe and right dosage are secret. Originating from Italy, the Parampampoli will give you quite the kick after a day in the cold.
- Champagne on a Zipline – Popular ski destinations such as Méribel offer the peak of VIP treatment where guests can have a bottle delivered in a firework-laden hamper via a zipline.
- Salmiakki Koskenkorva – This pre-mixed liquor is popular in Finland. The combination of salty liquorice and vodka is an acquired taste, and after a few drinks this cocktail becomes even harder to pronounce.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
Click to view the full size 13 Lucky Hot Toddy Cocktails from Around the World to Warm Your Soul [Infographic] image.
- Mulled Wine – The Chriskindlmarkt in Nuremberg
- Tom & Jerry – The Pegu Club – Manhattan
- Candy Cane Cocktail – Albany, Georgia
- Peppermint Schnapps Hot Chocolate – Germany
- Bombardino – Italy
- Pear Brandy Sidecar – Paris
- Champagne on a Zip Line – Meribel, Val Thorens Val D’Lsere
- Plank-Smoked Old Fashioned – American Cut Steakhouse, USA
- Whiskey Mac – The Blue Blazer Edinburgh
- Salmiakki Koskenkorva – Across Finland
- Lemongrass & Chill Martini – Verbier
- Parampampoli – Rifugio Crucolo, Italy
- Coffee Grog with Brandy – Yaki-Da, Sweden
Resource: Crystal Ski Holiday