The 6th annual Chicago Independent Spirits Expo will be taking place in the Windy City on September 21, 2016. The event is open to industry professionals as well as consumers and is one of the largest gatherings of small, independent, family owned, craft spirits distillers, importers, bottlers, distributors and representatives all under one roof.
500+ Crafts Spirit Pours
And, the event isn’t all talk – innovative distillers and brand ambassadors will be pouring a wide variety of more than 500 spirits from some of the best boutique vodkas, gins, rums, tequilas, mezcals, whiskies, liqueurs and bourbons from all around the world. The world class event promises to include spirits from the US, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, France, Mexico, the Caribbean, South America, Japan, India, Australia and New Zealand.
What started out as just three small brands conducting a tasting in a bar in New York City over 10 years ago has now grown to become one of the most anticipated underground spirit tastings on the planet. The event is put on by Dave Schmier, former owner of Redemption Rye & Temptation Bourbon whiskey brands, and Martin C. Duffy, U.S. Brand Representative for Glencairn Crystal and former Sr. Masters of Whisky for Diageo. Over the years, the event has taken place all over the country including San Francisco, New York City, Las Vegas and New Orleans.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
3 Industry Professional Sessions
Industry professionals at this year’s Indie Spirits Chicago Expo will have an opportunity to attend three events just for them including,
- A 2 hour Industry Roundtable discussion from 12:00pm to 2:00pm (All times are CDT.)
- Financing a Brand Seminar from 2:15 to 3:15pm
- and The Common Sense of Scents from 3:30 to 4:30pm.
According to Mr. Schmier, “The Chicago Indie Spirits Expo is a direct response to both the growing interest in craft spirits among consumers and the growth of craft distillers and other spirits entrepreneurs.“ Co-producer Martin Duffy, after experiencing Schmier’s New York event in 2011, convinced his friend to bring the Expo to City of Big Shoulders. “Chicago has always been a progressive drinking town, so it only seemed logical to bring this event here and make it the biggest and best event of its kind”, said Duffy. “Plus, it is a great chance to highlight the best of the Midwest’s own burgeoning distilling community.”
Complete Chicago Independent Spirits Expo Schedule
- The Illinois Craft Distillers Association (ICDA) Members Meeting: 10am-11:30am
- Industry Round Table Discussion: 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Financing a Brand Seminar: 2:15pm-3:15pm
- The Common Sense of Scents Seminar: 3:30pm-4:30pm
- VIP / Industry Tasting Session: 4:30pm-6:30pm
- General Admission Tasting Session: 6:30pm-9:00pm
Tickets for the 2016 Chicago Independent Spirits Expo
Update: Distillery Trail attendees can save 20% on admission by using promo code DT when checking out.
- VIP Tickets: $85 – VIP ticket holders get into the hall 2 hours earlier for more time with distillers. Use promo code “DT” to save $17 and get in for only $68.
4:30pm to 9:00pm.
- General Admission Tickets: $65 – Use promo code “DT” to save $13 and get in for only $52.
6:30pm to 9:00pm.
You can purchase tickets for the Chicago Independent Spirits Expo here.
The event takes place at Hilton Chicago Hotel, 720 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60613.