Though I normally share cocktail recipes sometimes, something comes along that’s a bit outside the box that I just have to share. This is one of those times; it’s a boozy edible treat instead of my normal cocktail.
This crazy good shot is inspired by Mexico and my favorite beachy drink the Piña Colada. I love Piña Coladas because they define tropical; with pineapple and coconut flavors. I believe that you can actually taste the beach or at least, it transports you to the beach without the plane ticket.
Today, I decided to fry my booze! Fried pineapple is so good that I had to elevate it, soak it in booze, roll it in coconut, and deep fry it until it was a juicy nugget of Piña Colada goodness. The coconut on the outside keeps the booze in and the greasiness to a minimum. I was a little hesitant at first to fry booze but after I drizzled the fried shots in coconut cream they tasted like piña colada heaven. These shots would also be good served with a coconut ice cream or sorbet as an appetizer or dessert.
Elevate your party with fried Piña Colada shots; they will wow your guest with something super creative and tropical! Pineapple, coconut, and rum are the stars of this crazy deconstructed Piña Colada.
How to Make Deep Fried Piña Colada Shots
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
- ½ cup of rum
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut into cubes
- ½ cup of prepared pancake batter
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup to 1 cup of high heat oil
- ½ cup of coconut cream
Garnish: Shredded coconut and coconut cream drizzle
- Add rum to a medium sized mixing bowl then add cubes of pineapple
- Let the pineapple soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Take 2 medium sized mixing bowls
- Add pancake batter to one and shredded coconut to the other
- Take pineapple out of the rum and drain on paper towels
- Put oil into a pan so that it is 2-3 inches deep and heat to 350 degrees
- Add pineapple cubes 2-3 at a time to the pancake batter then roll in the shredded coconut
- Add pineapple to oil and fry until browned on all sides
- Continue to fry in batches
- Drain fried pineapple on paper towel
- After the pineapple has cooled garnish it with shredded pineapple and coconut cream
- Yields: 2-4 servings
Serve and enjoy!
Note: I soaked some extra pineapple cubes in rum and did not fry them. I found that they were really good mixed into the fried one so that the guests got to taste the variations.