The off-premise beverage alcohol business grosses $104 billion annually and its growing according to Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America. That represents roughly 53% of total alcoholic beverage sales in the U.S. indicating that the number of consumers drinking at home is growing. Drizly, an on-demand alcohol delivery service gathered their customer behavior data from 2015 and created this infographic to share their insights from the markets they cover.
Quick Alcohol Delivery Facts
- Of all purchases from the site 34% were Beer, 34% Wine and 22% Spirits and 10% extras.
- No. 1 Selling Product: Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- Top Selling Beers: Bud Light, Stella Artois, Coors Light
- Top Selling Wine: Oyster Bay, Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blancs, LaMarca Prosecco
- Top Selling Spirits: Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Svedka Vodka and Bulleit Bourbon
- Top Days for Highest Order Value: Wednesday and Thursday are tied at $71 each
- Top Order Volume by Day: Friday and Saturaday (must buy lots of less expensive alcohol)
- Gender Breakdown: 58% Male vs. 42% Female
- 77% of buyers make over $50k per year
- Average buyer is between 24 and 36.
“In 2015 we saw Drizly users who had historically been single category buyers start to try new selections like bourbon, rosé and craft beer” ~ Trish Antonsen, Chief Cocktail Officer at Drizly
“While these trends are in line with how the industry is changing, the growth these categories saw on Drizly is quite impressive. In 2016 we expect the hyper-local beer scene to eclipse craft beers, millennials to become trendsetters in the wine space and Irish Whiskey and Aged Rum to become highly coveted and valued spirits.” said Antonsen.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for our Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
The Boston-based start-up which has raised $17.8 million, partners with local liquor stores in 18 markets across the U.S. and has an addressable delivery zone of over 30 million people.
Click the 2015 A Year in Drinking Infograpahic to see it full size.