Buffalo Trace Releases Col. E.H. Taylor, Jr. 10 Year Old Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon Made with Amaranth

 In Blog

If there is one thing people in the bourbon business must have its patience. In order for a bourbon to qualify as a Kentucky Bourbon it has to be at least a year old. In order for it to qualify as straight bourbon it must be at least two years old. In order for it to be Bottled-in-Bond it must be a minimum of four years old. Patience and planning is a big part of the industry as distillers wait for their spirits to mature.

In addition to age there is the mash bill. In order to qualify as bourbon the whiskies mash bill must be at least 51% corn. Beyond that, distillers can tinker with the other 49% that is often malted barley, wheat or rye. In the case of the latest release from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky they’ve replaced the small grain rye with Amaranth as the flavoring grain.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey with Amaranth

This latest release is the 10th in the Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. collection. Quite appropriately it’s a 10 year old Bottled-in-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. It uses the Buffalo Trace mash bill No. 1 with corn, malted barley and replaces the wheat with amaranth.

What is Amaranth?

Amaranthus.

Amaranthus

Amaranth was originally cultivated by the Aztecs and is called “the Grain of the Gods.” It is similar to wheat, but offers a complex taste with subtle flavors ranging from a nose of butterscotch and spearmint, to a finish of pecans and dark berries.

Tasting Notes from Buffalo Trace

Tasting notes describe this bourbon as having a fresh spearmint on the nose, followed by honey, with a hint of cherry. On the palate, coffee and vanilla come through. The finish is long, with oats and honey.

10th Release of Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Bourbon

The Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. collection was first released in early 2011 and several subsequent releases have followed. This 2019 Amaranth Bourbon release displays a vintage label and is offered inside a distinct yellow canister reminiscent of Taylor’s whiskey package from over one hundred years ago. It will be shipped in wooden box first used for the Cured Oak release. The boxes are modeled after the wooden crates used by Taylor to transport goods during the days before Prohibition.

Buffalo Trace Distillery - Col. E.H. Taylor, Jr. BourbonHere’s the complete list of Col E.H. Taylor, Jr.releases since its debut in 2011.

  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Barrel Proof
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Cured Oak
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Seasoned Wood
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Four Grain
  • E.H. Taylor, Jr. Amaranth

Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.

This special bottling of Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. 10 Year Old Bottled-in-Bond Amaranth Bourbon Whiskey will be available nationwide starting in late July in limited supply. This 100 proof (50% ABV) bourbon has a suggested retail price of $69.99 per 750ml bottle.

View all Kentucky Distilleries.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey with Amaranth

Buffalo Trace Disitillery - Col. E.H. Taylor, Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Made with Amaranth

Please help to support Distillery Trail. Sign up for our Newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Share Your Opinion

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

X
X