Moonshine University: Brandy Workshop
07aprAll Day08Moonshine University: Brandy Workshop
It’s all about brandy in this two-day workshop. Join Matt Strickland and Moonshine University for this unique opportunity to explore all aspects of this special spirit, from the
It’s all about brandy in this two-day workshop. Join Matt Strickland and Moonshine University for this unique opportunity to explore all aspects of this special spirit, from the fruit chosen to the maturation process, and every step in between. This class will prepare you for the art form that is brandy distillation.
Early Bird Special: Early Bird Registration covers your stay at our contracted hotel from Day 1 to the last day of class. The Early Bird deadline is 3 weeks before the first day of class.
What You’ll Learn in the Brandy Workshop
- Introduction, history, new world spirits revolution
- Fruit & Terroir: the importance of quality ingredients be it grapes, apples, cherries, ect., vineyard management, micro-climates, varietal selection, harvest (care, sugar level), vinifications (temp, yeast, lees, conservation of the wines), defects
- Alambic pot still: why an alambic? construction, description of all the parts ,slow distillation
- 1st distillation: timing, temperature, fractions: heads, brouillis, tails, the importance of the cuts
- 2nd distillation: timing, temperature, fractions: heads, EDV, seconds, tails
- distillery organization
- Maturation of spirits: Oak, seasoning, barrel construction, storage, blending, fortifications and more
Who is the Brandy Workshop For?
Whether you’re a seasoned distiller or newbie to the business, this class is for anyone who wants the knowledge necessary to distill quality brandy, using quality source materials and equipment.
This course is taught by Matt Strickland, Head Distiller at Distillerie Cote des Saints and author of Cask Management for Distillers and Batch Distillation: Science and Practice.
Get Your Class On
Tuition includes all class materials; breakfast, lunch, and refreshments; and transportation between our contracted hotel and our campus.
About Moonshine University
Founded in 2012, Moonshine University is the nation’s premier educational distillery. Our facility was created from the ground up to teach new distillers how to get started in the industry, and to teach professional team members how to elevate key aspects of their craft and boost sales. Combining classroom instruction with practical, hands-on learning and sensory training, Moonshine University attracts people from all over the world, ensuring every attendee leaves with a complete and comprehensive education and skill set applicable to a variety of spirits and industry related areas.
In 2013, The Kentucky Distillers’ Association made Moonshine University their exclusive education provider. With the support of some of the industry’s leading institutions and distilleries, you can be sure that taking a class at Moonshine University will be worth the investment.
Still Have Questions? Ready to Get Started?
Call 502-305-8596 or email Registrar@MoonshineUniversity.com
View all Moonshine University Courses here.
april 7 (Thursday) - 8 (Friday)
Moonshine University, Louisville, KY
Distilled Spirits Epicenter, 801 South 8th Street, Louisville, KY 40203, United States