Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky has announced its much anticipated release of the 2023 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection – BTAC. The release notes offer lots of details into what makes this quartet so savory. The first new is that it is a full set. As you’ll recall in 2021 there was no George T. Stagg Bourbon included in the release. For 2023 we have some good news. The 17-Year-old Eagle Rare is the oldest ever at 19 years and 3 months. That’s 1 year and 10 months older than last years release.
We have taken the release notes and tried to make sense of key data points like the proof off the still, barrel entry proof, evaporation loss, barrel warehouse numbers and floors, and final bottling proof.
With 20 years of distillery notes to share the journey from mash to barrel to bottle is what makes for great tales. This story is a good reminder for distillers to keep good records of all aspects of their new make from the start to the bottle. Distillers large and small have a million things on their to do list, keeping good records is imperative to their long-term success. Repeat after me: Lather, Rinse, Repeat and write it down.
You can find more details on the entire release notes in this more extensive article.
Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases its Full 2023 Antique Collection including the Oldest Eagle Rare in its History
Here’s a chart that shows a few data points for this year’s release.
Buffalo Trace 2023 Antique Collection Whiskeys Data Points
Click any category heading to sort the list.
|Whiskey Name||Year of Distill.||Proof Off Still||Barrel Entry Proof||Bottle Proof||Age at Bottling||Evap. Loss||Filter||Rick House||Floors|
|George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey||S 2008||140°||125°||135.0°||15 Yrs|
+ 3 Mos
|68%||None||C, I, K, L, M||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey||S 2011||130°||114°||133.6°||12 Yrs|
+ 6 Mos
|66%||None||C, L, M, N||2, 3|
|Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey||S 2017||135°||125°||124.9°||6 Yrs|
+ 2 Mos
|Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey||S 2004||140°||125°||101°||19 Yrs|
+ 3 Mos
|78%||None||C, I, K, M, Q||1, 2|
|Sazerac 18 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey||F 2004|
+ 5 Mos
|74%||Chill||K, L, M||2, 3|
The 2023 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) bourbon and rye whiskeys will be available in limited quantities starting in early to mid-November. Each bottle from the BTAC collection has a suggested retail price is $124.99 plus local taxes. Good luck!
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases its Full 2023 Antique Collection including the Oldest Eagle Rare in its History
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases Its Full 2022 Antique Collection including George T. Stagg at a Robust 138.7 Proof
- 2022 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Bourbon & Rye Whiskeys by the Numbers
- The 2021 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection is Out; Unfortunately, George T. Stagg is a No Show
- 2021 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Bourbon & Rye Whiskeys by the Numbers
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases Limited Supply 2020 Bourbon & Rye Antique Collection – 90° to 134.5° Proof
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases Limited Supply 2019 Bourbon & Rye Antique Collection – 90° to 128° Proof
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases 2018 Bourbon & Rye Antique Collection – 17 Year Old Eagle Rare Now 101°
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases 2017 Antique Collection – 90 to 129.2 Proof
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases 2016 Antique Collection – 90 to 144 Proof
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Releases 2015 Antique Collection Whiskeys – 90 to 138 Proof
- Buffalo Trace Distillery 2015 Antique Collection Whiskeys by the Numbers