Barrel of Michter’s 10 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Sells at Charity Auction for Record Setting $209,462
Michter’s Distillery located on Whiskey Row in Louisville, Kentucky participated in a charity auction to raise funds for the global hospitality industry in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The auction took place in London on July 12 and collectively all Michter’s related items raised a whopping $271,859 including $209,462 (£166,000) for a private barrel select of Michter’s 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
“This is the highest price ever paid at an auction for a single barrel of Bourbon anywhere in the world, far exceeding previous records,” said Justin Sloan, Co-Founder of Justins’ House of Bourbon and the world’s foremost expert on rare and exclusive Kentucky Bourbon.
The event was organized by William Reed, the parent company of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants and The World’s 50 Best Bars.
“Michter’s is committed to doing everything possible to support bar and restaurant professionals during this unimaginably difficult time,” said Matt Magliocco, Michter’s Executive Vice President.
“While we do not offer private barrel selections as a standard policy, we made an exception for this immensely important initiative. The results are a testament to the global community of Michter’s collectors, who stepped up massively to support the hospitality sector in its period of greatest need. We commend the organizers of 50 Best for Recovery for their extraordinary efforts to make this auction so impactful.”
The collection of items and experiences donated by Michter’s for the auction included rare and never-before-seen offerings from the brand. Here’s a complete list of what made up the entire collection of Michter’s items.
- The first-ever private barrel selection bottling of Michter’s 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon – Winning bid of $209,462 (£166,000)
- A collection of Michter’s rarest special releases, including Michter’s 20 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon, 25 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon, 25 Year Kentucky Straight Rye, and Celebration Sour Mash expressions – $21,451 (£17,000)
- The first-ever bottle of Michter’s 24 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon – $15,079 (£11,950)
- A two-day Kentucky adventure hosted by Michter’s, featuring special behind-the-scenes tours of Michter’s Shively and Fort Nelson distilleries as well as the legendary Ashford Stud horse farm – $8,265 (£6,550)
- A whiskey pairing dinner led by Michter’s Master Distiller Dan McKee and a World’s 50 Best Restaurants-selected chef at the winning bidder’s home, anywhere in the world – $8,076 (£6,400)
- A two-day immersive distillation and maturation internship with Michter’s in Louisville, featuring private tours of world-renowned still-maker Vendome and acclaimed barrel-maker Kelvin Cooperage – $4,984 (£3,950)
- A set of Michter’s 10 Year Kentucky Straight Rye and 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottles autographed by all three of Michter’s Kentucky-based Master Distillers – $1,577 (£1,250)
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
The 50 Best for Recovery auction included one-of-a-kind donations from the world’s top culinary establishments as well as leading suppliers to the food and beverage industry. Proceeds from the auction will be disbursed in two ways: by direct grants of up to $5,000 to independent restaurants and bars, as well as donations to non-profit organizations focused on the hospitality sector. A full list of recipient non-profit organizations that will benefit from the proceeds may be found here.
Michter’s Distillery makes limited production small batch bourbon, single barrel bourbon, single barrel rye, and small batch American whiskey. Michter’s operations include three Kentucky locations including its main distillery in the Shively section of Louisville, its 145-acre property Springfield farming estate used for aging barrels and growing custom grains and its recently opened visitor center Fort Nelson Distillery and The Bar at Fort Nelson located on Whiskey Row in downtown Louisville. The Fort Nelson distillery sits directly across the street from the world famous Louisville Slugger bat factory and on the same block as the Frazier History Museum which is the official starting point of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
Michter’s 10 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey