How to Make a Smoked Ruby Solstice Sour Cocktail
Inspired by the Norwegian ‘Midnight Sun’ tradition of lighting bonfires during the Summer Solstice every June, we created this Smoked Ruby Solstice Sour with select elements. The base of the cocktail is a wonderfully herbal Aquavit from Norway, which pairs delectably with the berry and lemon juices. I added in some ginger to give a little kick to the concoction then balanced out the excessive nuisances with a little honey.
Finally to really signify the bonfires I added some fresh herbs and flowers topped off with a gold leaf garnish. I then smoked the cocktail with dried rosemary in my smoker so that when the cocktail is revealed you are fully immersed just as if you were standing on the shores enjoying the festivities yourself.
- 1.5 ounces Aquavit
- 1 ounce Lemon Juice
- ½ ounce Mixed Berry Juice
- ½ ounce Ginger and Honey Syrup
- 2 dashes Cardamom Bitters
- 1 Egg White
- Garnish, Gold Leaf, Herbs and Wild Flowers
- Smoked with Rosemary
- Combine all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients
- Strain out ice
- Shake hard again to create a silky smooth consistency
- Fine strain into a cocktail glass
- Garnish with different herbs, flowers and gold leaf
- Smoke with a smoking unit and dried rosemary
Reveal and Enjoy!
- Bernzomatic ST2200 Detail Torch – If you don’t have one, you can order your own torch here.
- Bartender’s Smoking Gun – If you don’t have one, you can order your own smoking gun here.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
Smoke The Cocktail Glass Video
Like to Smoke Cocktails? Here are a Few More…
How to Make a New Orleans Oak Fashioned Cocktail
How to Make a 7 Across the Board with a Smoked Bourbon Barrel Stave
How to Make a Smokey Laguna Salada Cocktail
The Future of Insect Infused Cocktails – Tastes a lot like Bacon (and Whiskey)
Fire Up the Weekend with a Chicago Fire Extinguisher Cocktail