11 months out of the year you may prefer your distilled spirits neat or on the rocks but when it comes to the holiday season it’s a good time to mix it up a bit. What better way to mix it up than by filling your distillery or home with the smell of hot cider and spices simmering on the stove!
Set It and Forget It
Here’s a good communal type recipe for all your guests that you can make in advance or upon everyone’s arrival. Like most cocktails or punches there are no formal rules other than make what you like the way you like it. Once your done making a batch you get set it and forget it, leaving the scents of the season to fill the room and letting your guests serve themselves.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
The first thing you’ll need is a good apple cider. You can pick up a gallon or two at your local farmer’s market or grocery store. We prefer the unfiltered version but, grab what you like. If you feel inspired and have the time, you could even pick up some apples and juice your own.
Let’s get started.
- 8 cups Apple Cider
- 1 Cup Dark Rum or Bourbon
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup (optional if you like it less sweet.)
- 6 Cloves
- 4 Whole Cinnamon Sticks ( Have some extras set some aside for garish.)
- Slice the peel off the orange and lemon and toss into large sauce pan
- Throw in cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves
- Pour in cider
- Stir occasionally and bring mixture to a gentle boil
- Reduce heat to simmer for 20 – 30 minutes
- Blend in rum or bourbon
- Serve in mug, garnishing with whole cinnamon sticks.
Pour remaining spiked cider into crock pot on low heat to make available to your guests anytime.
Please help to support Distillery Trail. Sign up for our Newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.