The Macallan, single malt Scotch whisky, has released Edition No. 2, a collaboration between Master Whisky Maker Bob Dalgarno and co-founders of El Celler de Can Roca restaurant in Girona, Catalonia, Spain – twice voted best restaurant in the world – Joan, Josep and Jordi Roca. The second release in the Edition Series, a growing collection of Macallan whiskies that explore unique and distinctive casks, The Macallan Edition No. 2 brings together seven handpicked cask types from four different Spanish bodegas and cooperages to showcase the strength of co-creation and mastery.
Macallan Master Whisky Maker Bob Dalgarno
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
Continuing the diverse story of The Macallan’s oak casks and their obsession with wood, the focus remains on the commitment introduced with The Macallan Edition No.1, to unlock the workings of the intricate whisky making process. From the provenance of the oak to the expert crafting of the cask, the seasoning and the size, it is these diverse components and, in this instance, the distinct personas of the collaborators, which have ultimately shaped Edition No.2.
The Macallan’s Master Whisky Maker, Bob Dalgarno, and the Roca brothers imparted their creative spirits upon Edition No. 2 to bring to life the whisky’s dynamic character through handpicked cask types that represent different aspects of each of their personalities:
- The European oak Tevasa casks selected by Bob Dalgarno define and carry the shape of Edition No.2 with characteristic notes of rich, dried fruit.
- Closely following are notes of green wood and toffee from the American and European oak Diego Martin casks selected by Joan Roca.
- The notes of allspice and ginger are derived from the Jose Miguel Martin European oak casks selected by Josep Roca which denote of his complexity, warmth and maturity.
- Notes of citrus and light vanilla combine from the American oak Vasyma butts and puncheons chosen by pastry chef Jordi Roca.
“By collaborating with the Roca brothers we have combined our knowledge of whisky making with their creative culinary expertise. The result – a single malt that challenges expectations,” said The Macallan’s Master Whisky Maker Bob Dalgarno. “The driving force behind the Edition Series is the freedom we have to explore different and distinctive casks, some that might not typically be used in other Macallan whiskies. With wood at the very heart of this series, we very much enjoyed the opportunity to delve into each individual cask, discovering the style and the special influence it can impart on the resulting whisky. ”
Joan, Josep and Jordi Roca, Co-founders of El Celler de Can Roca
Josep Roca, Sommelier, El Cellar de Can Roca, continues, “Our shared values and passions with The Macallan are taken a step further with our Edition No. 2 collaboration. Working with Bob to identity casks which reflect each of us personally was truly a unique and magical experience. We are really proud of this partnership and the exceptional whisky created as a result.”
Tasting Notes from Macallan
- Color: A natural color of golden syrup
- Aroma: The nose leads with treacle, ginger, toffee apples and rich fruits. Layers of vanilla open into tropical fruits and subtle green wood.
- Palate: The palate is warm with spice as cracked black pepper and cloves join with hints of chocolate, brown sugar, oak and nuts. Finally, liquorice and brandy snaps come to
- Finish: The finish is full, slow, warm and wonderfully viscous.
- Strength: 48.2% ABV
The Macallan Edition No. 2 Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky has a suggested retail price of $90 per bottle.