The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) held its second liquor lottery to sell its limited allocation of popular bourbons. PLCB started the lottery in October to help alleviate a run on liquor stores and to try to provide an equal and fair way to distribute these limited edition bourbons. The first lottery featured 24 bottles of Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection; 12 bottles of French Oak Barrel Aged Bourbon 100 Proof and 12 bottles of French Oak Barrel Head Aged Bourbon. This second lottery featured 66 bottles of Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2015 Bourbon.
The lottery was a success despite a 44% drop in participation as compared to the first lottery. As more and more lotteries occur participation numbers will continue to fluctuate. Participants don’t really care as long as they get their hands on these hard to find bottles.
It’s still a bit baffling how few of the licensees (restaurants, bars, etc.) participate. The state of PA has about 13,600 licensees which makes this a .2% participation rate. Clearly, they don’t understand the value of this lottery. Licensees could certainly build some buzz with a special tasting for their establishment if their customers knew they had these rare bottles of liquor.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for our Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
The November 2, 2015 lottery was open to all PA residents. The lottery attracted a total of 2,083 entries. The complete breakdown of the entries and winners are in the charts below. Because licensees (restaurants and bars) constitute about one quarter of the PLCB’s annual sales, 25 percent of the each offering was available to licensees, while 75 percent will be available to individual consumers.
State of PA to Sell Buffalo Trace Experimental Bourbons via Lottery
PA Declares Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Liquor Lottery a Success
PA to Hold 2nd Liquor Lottery – Will Feature 66 Bottles of Four Roses Bourbon
Statistical Snapshot of Lottery Participants
Here’s a statistical snapshot of the Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 2015 release Lottery, including licensee and individual consumer entries:[table “” not found /]
[table “” not found /]
And the winners are…
Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2015 Bourbon Licensee Winners
- 2012 Harrisburg Investment LLC, DBA Hilton Harrisburg, Harrisburg, Dauphin County
- Heister Street Inc., DBA Inferno, State College, Centre County
- Craft Beer Taproom LLC, DBA Holy Hound Tap Room, York
- 1536 Inc., DBA 1536, Philadelphia
- NSHP LLC, DBA Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse, Beachwood, OH (Pittsburgh location)
- Via Marconi Smokehouse Tavern, Chalfont, Bucks County
- Regal Enterprises Inc., DBA the Fairport, Rochester, Beaver County
- Tres Feliz LLC, DBA Taqueria Feliz, Fort Washington, Montgomery County
- 303 Horsham Liquor LLC, DBA The Elements, Fort Washington, Montgomery County
- Dos Compadres LLC, DBA La Calaca Feliz, Fort Washington, Montgomery County
- Garsaks LLC, DBA The Blue Dust, Homestead, Allegheny County
- Winedown Café and Wine Bar LLC, West Reading, Berks County
- 681 Complex Inc., DBA Na’Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse, Horsham, Montgomery County
- Mountainview Thoroughbred Racing Association LLC, DBA Hollywood Casino at Penn National Racecourse, Grantville, Dauphin County
- Cioppino of Pittsburg LLC, DBA Cioppino Restaurant, Pittsburgh
- 40 E. Market Inc., DBA Ram’s Head Bar & Grill, West Chester, Chester County
For privacy reasons, individual names of winners were not released.
The PLCB says the limited release lottery has been a success and they plan on running a few more before the holidays. Future lotteries will be announced by email to those registered at FineWineAndGoodSpirits.com, as well as on the PLCB website itself.