Get your Vitamin Bee on with this spin on the “Penicillin” recipe – a modern cocktail with classic taste. When I visited Australia I was introduced to Manuka Honey from New Zealand and it changed my life, so I wanted to make a delicious cocktail with it and there were a few contender cocktails that would have been great but I eventually settled on making this delicious variation on the “Penicillin” cocktail.
I kept things fairly close to the classic recipe for this cocktail with the simple addition of some fresh strawberries, and instead of using a diluted honey syrup I went all in with the Comvita Manuka Honey because it is so damn delicious and as I now know, really healthy. The company who makes this honey actually sources it from the remote Kaimanawa region of New Zealand where it has to be extracted by helicopter.
Stay Informed: Sign up here for the Distillery Trail free email newsletter and be the first to get all the latest news, trends, job listings and events in your inbox.
- 2 ounces Scotch
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- ¾ ounce Comvita Manuka Honey
- ¼ ounce smoky Islay single malt Scotch
- 3 small quarter sized slices of ginger
- 3 fresh strawberries
- In the bottom of a cocktail shaker muddle strawberries and ginger
- Combine Scotch, lemon juice and Comvita Manuka Honey in shaker
- Shake without ice to combine ingredients
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker
- Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients further
- Fine strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice
- Float smoky single malt scotch over the top
- Garnish with candied ginger
- Drizzle Comvita Manuka Honey over the top