Today I am sharing a twist on the classic Paloma cocktail. I have always loved the Paloma and like to add a touch of freshness to it by putting fresh grapefruit juice in my version and top with some grapefruit soda.
I was walking around the market recently and there was a man selling honeycomb acquired fresh from the hive. This inspired me to create a cocktail that featured a hint of honey as a sweetener. Honey is a perfect accompaniment to grapefruit because of the balance it brings to the natural bitterness of the grapefruit. The honey produces a sweet but mellow flavor to this tequila cocktail and the salted rim enhances the flavors within the Paloma even more without being too overpowering.
I also enjoyed the effervescence of the grapefruit soda to top everything off.
Recipe: Honey Paloma
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 3 ounces of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce of lime juice
- 1.5 teaspoons of honey syrup
- top with grapefruit soda
- 1/2 cup of ice
Garnish: flowers or grapefruit wedge
- In a cocktail shaker add tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, honey syrup, and ice
- Rim serving glass with salt
- Shake for 20 seconds and then pour mixture into serving glass
- Top with grapefruit soda